Romans 12:9-10 The Message, YouVersion Daily Verse

"We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, because we have heard about your faith in Christ Jesus and your love for all the saints, springing from the hope that is stored up for you in heaven and that you already heard about in the word of truth, the good news that has come to you."
angelaglass
Site Admin

Romans 12:9-10 The Message, YouVersion Daily Verse

Post by angelaglass » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:30 pm

When I found I wanted to read the scriptures for myself, I had a hard time reading The New World Translation. It seemed I already knew what everything meant in a way that was distracting me from the story.
"Love from the center of who you are; don't fake it. Run for dear life from evil; hold on for dear life to good. Be good friends who love deeply; practice playing second fiddle."

—Romans 12:9-10 The Message (translation) via the YouVersion Daily Verse
That's how I found "The Message", a dynamic paraphrase translation.

The Message translation isn't as good for studying the scriptures (compare to BSB as text rather than just for the story, BLB) as it's not a literal translation... it's more like sitting down to read a novel given to us by God.

The translator, who has since been "gathered to his people," was interested in ensuring the dynamic language of the Greek came through in a modern English translation. For example, the casseroles.

I guess in some ways, it is good in instigating the study of scripture... you read a verse and go, huh, I get what it means, but what did that verse say again in the NWT, or in the Hebrew/Greek manuscripts?

I find these days that I love getting the daily text from the YouVersion app on my iPhone and iPad, and I use The Message version. It replaces the daily text of the Watchtower, and thus I appreciate that it's a paraphrase of scripture.

I've also used their read the bible in 90 days plan several years in a row.

Let me know if you want to be 'friends' on YouVersion?

I thought I'd share the verse of the day with all the new friends I hope to meet here! :)